Which is True: Creation, Evolution, or Both?
This session explores the biggest challenge to faith experienced by many people, especially in college. Namely, is Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution compatible with faith in God? Or, does evolution make it possible to be an “intellectually fulfilled atheist” (to quote Oxford Professor Richard Dawkins)? While you may not have personal doubts about God’s role in the evolutionary process, this session will provide valuable information for discussion with those who do.
First, we present the Catholic Church’s teaching that Genesis “symbolically” conveys the story of creation and that the deeper religious principles (not the literal plot) are the truths being conveyed by the story.
Next, this session explores the concept of evolutionary creation or theistic evolution, which many people see as a reasonable balance between faith and science. This includes looking at the four types of causes (primary, secondary, intelligent, natural) in order to better understand how evolution could have been God’s method of creation. In short, God is the primary/intelligent cause of the universe and all within it. However, God prefers to work through secondary/natural causes (such as natural selection acting on genetic mutations) in the development of the universe and the evolution of life on earth.
Then, we look at the prevailing view of evolution common within academia and the scientific establishment, which could be called evolutionary naturalism or atheistic evolution, which is often seen as a direct challenge to faith in God. This will lead to a discussion of materialism and the limits of science.
In closing, we look at how an intelligent cause is a valid explanation for the genetic information found in DNA.
For more information, please see:
- CAINA’s Presentation on Evolution and Creation (Part 1 of 2):
- CAINA’s Presentation on Evolution and Creation (Part 2 of 2):
- Professor Stephen Barr on the Types of Causes and God’s Role in Evolution:
- Short computer-animated video showing the amazing process of how the genetic information in DNA is used to form proteins from amino acids in the cell, with comments by Dr. Dean Kenyon:
- Dr. Stephen Meyer discussing how the genetic information found in DNA is best explained by an intelligent cause:
- Realism vs. Materialism (Science Uprising 01). Has science proven we are all just matter? Or does reality extend beyond what we can see and touch?
- DNA Is Code: Who Coded It? (Science Uprising 03). Is the software that runs life the result of accumulated copying errors? Or does it require a programmer?
- Origin of Life: Intelligence Required (Science Uprising 05). Can life spontaneously generate itself from chemicals? Or are detailed instructions required?
- View/Download PowerPoint Slides (without videos): Which is True: Creation, Evolution, or Both?
- Is the Genesis Story of Creation True? by Steven R. Hemler
- NEW: The Genesis Problem by Bishop Robert Barron
- Does Evolution Contradict Genesis? by Matt Fradd
- Three Interpretations of the Genesis Creation Story that Do Not Contradict Modern Science
- Is Evolutionary Naturalism True? by Steven R. Hemler
- Is Evolutionary Creation True? by Steven R. Hemler
- What is the Catholic Understanding of Genesis and Evolution? by Steven R. Hemler
- Does the Catholic Church Accept Evolution? by Steven R. Hemler
- St. Augustine’s Views on Evolution by Daniel L. Marcum
- Reference DVDs and Books on Evolution and Creation