Is There Evidence that God Exists?
Most people find they need to answer for themselves and in discussions with others the question: “Does God exist?” To help us answer this important question, the first part of this multimedia presentation presents compelling scientific evidence of God’s existence from cosmology and physics. Contrary to the usual myth of a conflict between science and faith, attendees are excited to learn “the rest of the story” about the scientific evidence of God’s existence, mostly presented on video by scientists themselves. This evidence, which God left for science to discover, reveals a cosmos brought into being by a Creator beyond space and time and a universe that is surprisingly finely tuned to be “just right” for life.
The second part of this presentation focuses on evidence of God’s existence from within human nature, including our consciousness and conscience. Since our free will and desire for perfect knowledge, perfect justice, and perfect love are not necessary for survival, where do they come from and why do we have them? This part also explores the persuasive case made by C.S. Lewis on how our conscience, which he calls the “moral law written on our hearts,” points to God’s existence.
In short, this presentation provides an overview of amazing scientific evidence and key insights drawn from human nature demonstrating God’s existence. This objective evidence of God’s existence helps dispel doubts and strengthen faith, as well as provides persuasive reasons for belief that are valuable for sharing with family and friends who have questions about the existence of God.
(1) When this presentation is done separately with adults (not part of the Faith and the Big Questions series of talks), it is normally entitled Proclaiming the Reality of God: Scientific and Human Evidence of God’s Existence.
(2) For 8th through 12th grade students, the multimedia presentation is shorter and entitled God and Science: Where Does the Evidence Lead? When done with youth ministry groups, this 1.5-hour session also includes personal reflection and small group discussion handouts.
For more information, please see:
- View/Download PowerPoint Slides (without videos): Proclaiming the Reality of God: Scientific and Human Evidence of God’s Existence
- CAINA’s Presentation on GOD and SCIENCE: Where Does the Evidence Lead?
- YouTube video discussing how the Kalam Cosmological Argument provides evidence for the existence of God.
- YouTube video discussing how the Big Bang provides evidence for the existence of God.
- YouTube video discussing how the intelligible laws of nature and their fine tuning provide compelling evidence for the existence of God
- YouTube video discussing how the fine tuning of the universe provides compelling evidence for the existence of God
- YouTube video discussing how the “local fine tuning” of the many factors that make life on earth possible (Part 1 of 2)
- YouTube video discussing how the “local fine tuning” of the many factors that make life on earth possible (Part 2 of 2)
- YouTube video with Fr. Robert Barron discussing why we believe in God, including the Argument from Desire
- Presentation Abstract: Is There Evidence that God Exists? by Steven R. Hemler
- 5 Human Desires that Point to God, by Steven R. Hemler
- Arguments for God’s Existence, by Daniel L. Marcum
- The Fulfillment of All Desire: A Case for God’s Existence, by Dominic M. Figueroa
- How Contemporary Physics Points to God, by Fr. Robert Spitzer, S.J., Ph.D.
- The Universe is Specifically Designed to Support Life, by Joseph F. Marino
- The Evidence of God in Physics, by Br. Joseph M. Anoop, FSP
- Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow’s Inadvertent Proof for God, by Joe Heschmeyer
- NEW: A Universe Made Just For Us, by Angelo Stagnaro
- Impact of the Multiverse Hypothesis on the Anthropic Cosmological Principle as Evidence of God’s Existence, by Deacon Dennis B. Fleming
- Reference DVDs and Books on the Existence of God